The mission of Obesity Australia is to drive change in the public perceptions of obesity, its prevention and its treatment. We will do this by:
- Providing leadership and independent advice to inform sound policy
- Building recognition of the personal, social and economic effects of obesity
- Changing entrenched attitudes
- Independently evaluating what works and what doesn't work in the Australian context
- Showcasing the best science on how and why obesity occurs so it provides a base for effective community response and government funding
We will highlight current knowledge of obesity, drawing on a wealth of scientific and medical knowledge, based on research reviewed by our Scientific Advisory Council, experts in their field around Australia & New Zealand.
Obesity Australia is served by a Board who have demonstrated leadership in their field – public affairs, politics, health, public policy.
OA has two distinct and complimentary roles.
The first is as a network facilitator - communicating and connecting agencies and sources of specialist content (science, policy, advice, educational material) to amplify impact.
- In this role OA is not of itself a source of specialist content, which is the purview of academic, non-government and government agencies. But it follows that OA must have close and coherent relationships with other groups, to ensure that it plays an effective role within the broader coalition of obesity-related entities.
- The second, by virtue of the makeup of its Board, sees OA work to influence corporate Australia and government to act on the challenge of obesity.
Obesity in the news
These articles are a representation of the media coverage regarding obesity and related issues. They do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Obesity Australia Ltd, our Partners, Donors, or Supporters.
What BMI doesn't tell you about health
1-Feb-2018 - Vox
Eating slowly may help prevent obesity, says researchers
13-Feb-2018 - The Guardian
What is the Relationship between Alcohol Consumption and Obesity?
21-Feb-2018 - Medical News Bulletin