WELCOME TO OBESITY AUSTRALIA
The mission of Obesity Australia is to drive change in the public perceptions of obesity, its prevention and its treatment. We will do this by:
- Providing leadership and independent advice to inform sound policy
- Building recognition of the personal, social and economic effects of obesity
- Changing entrenched attitudes
- Independently evaluating what works and what doesn't work in the Australian context
- Showcasing the best science on how and why obesity occurs so it provides a base for effective community response and government funding
We will highlight current knowledge of obesity, drawing on a wealth of scientific and medical knowledge, based on research reviewed by our Scientific Advisory Council, experts in their field around Australia & New Zealand.
Weighing the Cost of Obesity: A Case for Action
The focus of this year’s Summit is Obesity Australia’s report, No Time to Weight II and the accompanying PwC report commissioned by Obesity Australia which provides a benefits realisation framework to identify the costs of obesity in Australia and the benefits of interventions to reduce obesity.
Professor John Funder AC, will chair a panel of experts who will discuss the PwC report findings. See the program for complete details.
There will then follow a presentation by Associate Professor Anna Peeters on the need for a national consensus towards the development of a model for patient advocacy, after which the Summit will host an open discussion between the Summit Panel and attendees on models of patient advocacy.